South Coast Collection (SOCO) is a 300,000 square-foot destination retail center located in the heart of Orange County. BWP acquired SOCO in 2009 as a failed home furnishings center and successfully completed redesign, reposition, and rebranding of the center as a regional home design and culinary hub for Orange and Los Angeles County. The center has also evolved into to one of the most dynamic gathering places in Southern California.
Highlights in Design and Environmental Sustainability
- Executed energy efficiency lighting strategies
- Utilized recycled and reclaimed materials
- Introduced drought tolerant landscaping
- Designed and constructed water recycling systems to capture and repurpose waste water for 2 water intensive tenants.
- Introduced water-efficient plumbing fixtures throughout project
- Project features one of the first “Silver” LEED certified retail tenant spaces in the United States
- Increased amount of permeable hardscape areas, featuring new planting and decomposed granite walkways and seating areas
- Added edible gardens utilized by on-site restaurants
- Added weekend farmers market to promote community gathering and farm to table ingredients for on-site restaurants and in support of local farmers
- Added operable windows and roll-up doors for increased ventilation and energy cost savings
- Instituted mechanical system upgrades to promote indoor clean air quality and operating efficiency
- Promoted the center as a community gathering place and venue for non-profit events, fundraising, charity events, and corporate functions
- Portion of center’s proceeds support numerous non-profits, charitable organizations and local community outreach including: local school foundations, Susan G. Komen Foundation, Wounded Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Newport Beach Chapter of National Charity League, and Orangewood Foundation, to name a few.
- Burnham-Ward received City of Costa Mesa “Green Award”
- Burnham-Ward received South Coast Metro’s “Design in Leadership Award”