Conceived and created by Burnham-Ward, The OC Mix is an innovative retailing concept featuring a collection of hip and urban boutiques, restaurants, and artisanal food purveyors, set in an organic de-construed communal environment with large common areas, soft seating, and adjacent patio areas. The OC Mix is a popular event venue for large parties, shopping events, charity functions, private parties, and community gatherings. Architecture features reclaimed materials, high bay ceilings with exposed plenum mechanical systems, natural lighting, and lots of soft seating and gathering spaces. The configuration allows shoppers to stroll between shops in a communal manner but with ability for each shop owner to secure their store after hours. The OC Mix shops include a hand-crafted coffee bar, tea room, wine bar, oyster bar, artisanal cheeses, olive oil, spices, cold pressed juices and much more. Boutiques include women’s, men’s and children’s apparel, accessories, art gallery, jewelry, home décor and much more. Adjacent outdoor areas feature decomposed granite walkways, bench seating, reflection areas with native grasses and succulents, reclaimed beam patio structures with climbing flowering vines, water features and herb gardens.
Highlights in Design and Environmental Sustainability:
- Use of drought tolerant landscaping throughout exterior areas
- Use of reclaimed and recycled materials both inside and outside
- Utilized energy efficient lighting
- Introduced water efficient plumbing fixtures throughout project
- Increased amount of permeable hardscape areas featuring new planting and decomposed granite walkways and seating areas
- Added edible gardens utilized by on-site restaurants and on-site farmers market promoting organic local farmers
- Added operable windows and roll-up doors for increased ventilation and energy cost savings
- Instituted mechanical system upgrades to promote indoor clean air quality and operating efficiency
- Promoted the center as a community gathering place and venue for non-profit events, fundraising, charity events, and corporate functions
- Portion of The OC Mix’s proceeds support numerous non-profits, charitable organizations, and local community outreach, including: local school foundations, Susan G. Komen Foundation, Wounded Warriors, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, Project Hope Alliance, Newport Beach Chapter of National Charity League, and Orangewood Foundation to name a few.
- Burnham-Ward received City of Costa Mesa “Green Award”
- Burnham-Ward received South Coast Metro’s “Design in Leadership Award”